Saturday, November 15, 2008

Progress

I just found out that I got accepted to be a vendor at a local craft fair (put on in the Seattle Center by The Vera Project) on December 6. I have not done a fair yet, because I've been trying to build my inventory so I'll have enough stuff to sell.

That brings me to another point... MARKETING.

Since starting Greenleaf Knitting, I've gradually been trying to focus in on, articulate, and market my particular knitting style. I, actually, enjoy designing and knitting a variety of styles and pieces, so limiting myself to one particular style has been quite an unappealing thought to me. But I also know that some level of consistency and commonality among my work is important if I ever want to sell anything. So, although this plan will need more tweaking, I think I've finally figured it out...

I'm going to create 2 seperate Greenleaf lines of garments: "Greenleaf Indie Line" and "Greenleaf Classic Line". This should allow me more freedom to design and knit what I want without creating too much disunity among my products.

The "Greenleaf Indie Line" will be feature vibrant colors and funky styles/patterns like this...

The "Greenleaf Classic Line" will feature more earthy tones with lots of cables and intarsia - a bit of a classic, outdoorsy, scandanavian vibe like this...

Hurray for new ideas and first-time fairs!

[FYI - The Vera Project craft fair is more of an indie scene, so I'll be selling more from my Indie Line (e.g., leg warmers, wrist warmers, funky hats)]